Conapred launches first campaign to combat homophobia

June 15, 2017
Conapred launches first campaign to combat homophobia

The council not only seeks to combat hate for homosexuals, but also bets on showing family diversity.

The National Council for Preventing Discrimination in México (Conapred) launched a nationwide campaign against homophobia and inclusion. The aim of the campaign is to counteract the perception that homosexuality is a disease and the ideas that confuse sexual orientation with gender identity. This by inclusion, celebrating sexual and human diversity, as well as promoting the recognition of the rights of all people to “visualize and combat stigmas, prejudices and stereotypes towards LGBTI people (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual, Transvestite, Intersex).”

The campaign was presented through the holding of a Peace Room against homophobia and inclusion in the Conapred headquarters building, which included academics, activists, civil society organizations and public officials.

During the event, the attendees activated the hashtag #MéxicoIncluyente, which seeks, through social media, to position values ​​against discrimination and to promote inclusion and sexual diversity.

Hernán Gómez Bruera, adviser coordinator of the National Council for Preventing Discrimination (Conapred), said in an interview that, despite the fact that sexual diversity is a priority in Mexican society, violence against homosexuals continues.

“We are very concerned about the climate of violence against homosexuals and transgender people, especially,” said Gómez Bruera, “it is estimated that there are 71 homicides to LGBT people every year, Mexico is one of the countries with the most homicide for hate crimes” .

To carry out the campaign, Conapred consulted with human rights organizations and civil society.

Gómez Bruera pointed out that data from the Inegi show that the traditional nuclear family model represents about 40 percent; The remaining 60 percent are made up of diverse families.

“You can not establish exclusive families or determine a unique family model,” he said, “fortunately there are already eight states that have legislated in this regard.”
 

 

Comments

comments powered by Disqus